Sunday, September 16, 2012

Description on the Weather

Today I can wear pajamas a tad before dinner and sprawl out on the lawn, crisp from a recent clipping, the sunlight greening each blade. I can turn over onto my back and close my eyes against the brilliant sun, then wait a minute as billowing shade fumbles in the way, then I can open my eyes and I can see my sky with cleansed eyes. If I keep my eyes particularly still, the secret movement of the clouds is revealed, and I can watch them morph into new things. If I come back inside and look out into the street, families are strolling in summer clothes appropriate for fun, and they are unaffected by how much the windless air feels exactly like their skin. They don't remember where their own skin begins or ends. It just is. I can wait until my eyes dry up into prunes but I will not see a leaf twitch. Clouds gather around the sun and hog its light, distilling the colors into a cooler tone that promises autumn, but is still very much summer. But it will yield soon, I know it will.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you first describe the whole day and it's mood (if you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete